Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Panetela de Guayaba

These have always been one of my favorite childhood treats from Puerto Rico.  I hadn't had them in over 15 years; the last time I was on the island.  A few months ago my mother returned from one of her many trips to the island with a small plastic tub of Puerto Rican treats and in that tub were some Panetelas de Guayaba.  I was so excited!  The flavors brought back so many childhood memories for me and I knew I had to find out how to make them now that I knew what they were called.  

I have looked all over the net and have come across a few recipes.  I have made a few minor tweaks here and there, and I find that this is the best interpretation of the recipe.  I have made it for my family and everyone that has tried it has LOVED it.  I hope you enjoy these.

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 stick of salted butter (1/4 cup) melted
10 oz of guava paste cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 tbsp of butter to grease mold (approx)
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle over top of cake)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven 350º F.
2.  Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla by hand until creamy.

3.  Add flour, baking soda and salt to egg/sugar mixture and stir with spatula.  Mixture will be dry/thick.



4.  Add melted butter and mix by hand until ingredients are fully incorporated.  The result will be a  buttery/sticky dough.


5.  Grease your baking mold with butter.  Be generous.
6.  Take half the batter and spread on the bottom of baking mold.  If you use your hands, you should continuously wet your hands so that the dough does not stick to your fingers.  I find it best to use a silicone spatula coated with butter (personal preference) to help spread the dough evenly.

7.  Place the guava paste strips evenly over the dough.  (Resist eating them!)


8.  Cover guava paste with the other half of the dough and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


9.  Let cool and cut into squares.  Sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Enjoy!


23 comments:

  1. What size baking mold do you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingredients specify baking powder but, in step 3 it says baking SODA. which is correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin. Sorry, the correct ingredient is baking POWDER. I will correct the error. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marielle. I used a 9x9 glass pan. Sorry for the delay in my response. I hadn't been on here in a while due to real life issues. Enjoy the panetela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denisse, my husband and I lived in San Juan for 6 years. Then hurricane Maria swept through and changed the island so much. On Saturday mornings, we would go to a place that sold Panatela de Guayaba and buy all that they had in a basket by the register. Every night I would bring one, cut in half, for a treat, but since moving back to Miami, we haven't seen them. Now I will have to surprise my husband with your recipe. Thank you for taking us back to PR, and our memories. I will let you how they turn out. Blessings...

      Delete
  5. Is it self rising flour + the baking Powder and salt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Vero, I used regular flour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At Walmart or any Latino grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the guava paste sold in freezer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Look for Goya products, comes in a can and i believe a frozen version also.

      Delete
    3. no in the freezer.. look in the aisle of Hispanic products.. they R sell in round can or the guava paste square in the a plastic wrap...

      Delete
  9. Super delicious, easy fun to make, and looks so pretty! Thank you so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to making this recipe, just came back from PR and the panetela I brought is running out:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Violeta GalvezJanuary 28, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    Please check ingredients equivalents since 1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup NOT 1/4.
    Clarify if it calls for 1 stick or 1/4 cup. Thank you and Happy Eatings!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi question for the butter says 1 stick then it says 1/4 cup which is it! Since one stick is 1/2 cup?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. En qué momento se añade la levadura??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Used 1 stick of unsalted butter I already had and added the salt, used self rising and still added 1 spoon of baking powder and added grated lemon for flavor. Tut turned out delicious❣️Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been making this recipe for a a while and every time comes out so delicious I will bring it to party's or I will make a platter with 2 or will make small gift boxes for Christmas everyone goes crazy I'm from P.R I grew up with this dess6

    ReplyDelete