I have looked all over the net and have come across a few recipes. I have made a few minor tweaks here and there, and I find that this is the best interpretation of the recipe. I have made it for my family and everyone that has tried it has LOVED it. I hope you enjoy these.
2 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 stick of salted butter (1/4 cup) melted
10 oz of guava paste cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 tbsp of butter to grease mold (approx)
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle over top of cake)
1. Preheat oven 350º F.
2. Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla by hand until creamy.
3. Add flour, baking soda and salt to egg/sugar mixture and stir with spatula. Mixture will be dry/thick.
4. Add melted butter and mix by hand until ingredients are fully incorporated. The result will be a buttery/sticky dough.
5. Grease your baking mold with butter. Be generous.
6. Take half the batter and spread on the bottom of baking mold. If you use your hands, you should continuously wet your hands so that the dough does not stick to your fingers. I find it best to use a silicone spatula coated with butter (personal preference) to help spread the dough evenly.
7. Place the guava paste strips evenly over the dough. (Resist eating them!)
8. Cover guava paste with the other half of the dough and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
9. Let cool and cut into squares. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Enjoy!